Today our spotlight features lucymonty (aka Lucy). She’s a big animal lover and a keen crafter who runs her own small jewellery business. Here is what she had to say:
- How did you come across Postcrossing? What got you hooked?
I read about Postcrossing in a newspaper in 2009. I’ve always thought there’s something romantic and ‘olde worlde’ about writing letters. I imagine the characters in Jane Austen novels sending love letters!
Although I travelled quite a lot with my family when I was younger I’ve not been able to go abroad in recent years so Postcrossing is my window to the wider world. I can also get ideas for trips I’d like to take in the future…
Like so many Postcrossers I was instantly hooked- I love seeing what cards have arrived when the post comes!
- Do you have any other interesting hobbies?
I’m a non-stop crafter- I make jewellery, cushions, trinket boxes and more and *try to* sell them through my Etsy shop. I also love photography, particularly local nature and animals (often my pets!) and I have some printed to send as postcards. This one shows the local beach at sunset:
- Show us your mailbox, your mailman/mailwoman, your postoffice or the place where you post or keep your postcards!
Outside the local shop that also has a little Post Office at the back.
Inside, at the Post Office desk, there is often a queue!
I store all my received postcards in these two boxes, and arrange them by country or region. I’m a bit of a geek when it comes to organising things! I have a feeling I may need to move some into a third box pretty soon…
- Show and tell us about your favorite received postcard to date, and what makes it special.
Even though I limited myself to choosing only from ‘official’ Postcrossing cards and not direct swaps, I couldn’t pick just one favourite card! Here are five that stand out:
Clockwise from top left:
- A beautiful flying squirrel card from Marja in Finland- it’s such an unusual animal!
- The ‘I Love My Planet’ card from Keijo in Finland- it’s just so ‘me’!
- The black and white dog card from Renate in Austria- the image is great but it’s the lovely message on the back that makes it extra special.
- The cats illustration card from Anna in Russia- this was ‘the beginning of a beautiful friendship’ to quote Humphrey Bogart, we’ve been exchanging cards ever since.
- The sunset card from Debby in Taiwan- I just love this stunning sky!
- What is it your favorite part of the Postcrossing process?
Of course I love receiving postcards but my favourite part is when I get a new address to send to and I do my best to find something from that person’s wish list or something that would mean something to them. I really want all the cards I send to become one of the recipient’s favourites! I also enjoy looking up the place I’ve sent to/received from in our atlas.
- Have you been surprised by any place that you have received a postcard from or sent a postcard to?
I was very lucky to be one of the people who received a card from Tuvalu to mark Earth Day in 2010!
- Is there anything that you are passionate about?
I’m passionate about animal rights and conservation. As a result I’m vegetarian and have something of a menagerie at home- a cat called Monty, 3 tortoises called Puffy, Diddy and Clemmy and 2 chickens (rescued ex-battery hens) called Jack and Tony!