Season's greetings from Postcrossing!

Postcrossing as a school project

We like to see Postcrossing as a hobby for the whole family. It might sound strange, but it's true that very few hobbies can be done by such a wide age group. We have Postcrossers of all ages and we believe it's quite special that Postcrossing can reach everyone, independently of it's age, gender and, of course, geographic location.

Today we have learned from a Postcrosser and its use for the postcard exchanges: Postcrossing as a school project. She is a teacher in a school which used Postcrossing as a tool for teaching geography and history to the students. We couldn't be happier about this so we asked if we could share the story with everyone. Here's the transcript of what she told us:

In my second grade classroom, we have been Postcrossing for most of our school year. Recently, our 100th postcard arrived! Each student, myself (teacher), and 3 adult helpers prepared reports about an assigned country from which we received a postcard. Projects from my class of 7 - 9 year olds included powerpoint presentations, dioramas, posters, travel guides, fact books, and more. Each student took turns sharing and teaching the other students about their assigned country.

Then last Friday, with help from parents, we had our party. We sampled food from different parts of the world, match Moomin and Miffy on-line, revisited our projects, and played a geography trivia game.

I want to thank everyone who may have sent us a card! This has been such a fun and exciting project. My class has not only learned about their world, they have learned that different cultures, languages, thoughts, and ideas are what makes our world more FUN! This project was also a very unexpected lesson in history. Other Postcrossers who sent us cards did an EXCELLENT job of providing information about where they live. Because of your information, my second graders know a wealth of information from all over the world. It helped sharpen their problem solving and research skills.

Postcrossing as a school project

Postcrossing as a school project

Postcrossing as a school project

For the last day of school, my students will each take home a few cards from different countries and US states. They are already starting to pick out their favorites.

I will, without a doubt, do this again with next year's class, and every year after that! THANK YOU POSTCROSSING for being the best geography-teaching tool a teacher can have!

And all we can say is thank you! And thank you for sharing this story with us all.

If you know of other interesting uses of Postcrossing, we would love to hear from you!

Share on:
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Google+ Share by email
Posted by on 21 May, 2009
Tags: ,

butterflycard, Malaysia
Yes postcards and stamps can help learning and reading in a great way.This is a fun way to rid Dyslexia.I have this technique well in Asia.For example one child started to read better when the issue of Flags was introduced.
Posted by butterflycard on 21 May, 2009

PostMuse, United States of America
Very cool! I hope that more teachers will use PostCrossing. I know postage is very expensive, but it is such a thrill to receive a card from faraway places.
Posted by PostMuse on 21 May, 2009

gabis, Germany
I would like to go to school once again! How boring was my geography lesson in the past...
Posted by gabis on 21 May, 2009

sonataca, United States of America
I wish my school had done this...
Like I state in my profile, postcrossing is an educational experiance also because you get to learn about different countries and places.

Paulo and Ana, you should get a Novel Peace Prize for creating such a wonderful project! This project has the strength to finish lots of problems in this world!
Posted by sonataca on 21 May, 2009

piggykr, Korea (South)
I too use postcrossing in my classroom. I teach EFL and it is great for reading and writing practice. I also use the postcards I recieve as visuals for various topics from geography to food and animals. The kids quite like it.
Posted by piggykr on 21 May, 2009

pianogirlstudio, Singapore
It's a great way for kids to learn about other countries and philately. I'm doing something like that for my piano studio now - my students & I are trying to collect music postcards from around the world and when we have enough we will take some photos and publish it on our website. =)
Posted by pianogirlstudio on 21 May, 2009

AllSerene, United Kingdom
I've sent cards to a few class projects and really enjoy choosing cards for them and finding something interesting to write about. I think it's a wonderful idea for teaching children about the world around them.
Posted by AllSerene on 21 May, 2009

timia, Portugal
i sent a card to an american school once (don't know if it was this one), i told them about "fado" and "saudade", i hope it helped! :)
Posted by timia on 21 May, 2009

Norway_girl, Norway
Postcards are a great way to learn history and geograpy!
Used some postcards when we presented a school trip to Italy a few years ago.

And I did make a notebook for my nephew and gave to him at his 1. birthday. Not sure how much he get's out of it yet, but he'll hopefully learn from it when he's older. And my sister said it was a great gift! Would for sure not got that idea if I haven't been here at Postcrossing.
Posted by Norway_girl on 21 May, 2009

Lata, United Kingdom
I agree, it is a brilliant idea and I am sure that the kids and the parents appreciate all the hard work that the teachers have put into the project!
Laura
Posted by Lata on 21 May, 2009

rickfm, Brazil
I sent a postcard here in postcrossing to another school project in Taiwan.
Posted by rickfm on 21 May, 2009

Twilight_princess, Finland
a really great article. I would like to have that too in my school days!
I also had one card sent to such a project, it is nice to know you're part of something like that!
Posted by Twilight_princess on 21 May, 2009

FairyFoot, United Kingdom
Yay. Good luck for next year.
Posted by FairyFoot on 21 May, 2009

Skron, United States of America
I just received a card from a school project in Belfast, Ireland. The child wrote in French as part of his studies.
Posted by Skron on 21 May, 2009

blunosr, Canada
What a fabulous idea for a geography class. Kudos to the teachers who use creative ideas like Postcrossing to make learning fun.
Posted by blunosr on 21 May, 2009

KarenElissa, United States of America
Count me in as another teacher who uses postcrossing with her kids. I work at an after-school program and try and do projects that are both educational and fun, the stuff that many teachers don't have time to do any more. And Postcrossing fits that perfectly. The kids love choosing postcards to send and of course love it when we get one. We have a big map with pins for all the postcards we have received. The know that we have tons from Finland and only one from Africa. They also love picking out their favorite cards. It has been wonderful for everyone!
Posted by KarenElissa on 21 May, 2009

bakabo, Thailand
It's really good idea to teach children. :)
Posted by bakabo on 22 May, 2009

phisseraph, Taiwan
Great! My first postcard form this project was from Michigan and also sent by teacher and students! It's really nice to know that there are so many people sending postcards for such a special goal :)
Posted by phisseraph on 22 May, 2009

ParkSchool, United Kingdom
We are a class of 13/14 year olds from a school in Belfast who have recently started postcrossing. We love sending and especially receiving postcards from all over the world. We use postcrossing to learn about other countries and also to practice writing a little in French. Sometimes we even get messages written in French, which is very cool! We LOVE postcrossing :-)
Posted by ParkSchool on 22 May, 2009

kazinhabueno, Brazil
I've learned a lot with Postcrossing too!!!
Congratulations for this great idea :)
Posted by kazinhabueno on 22 May, 2009

MadisonRedmon, United States of America
This was really fun I mean so fun.
Posted by MadisonRedmon on 22 May, 2009

azzucoloto, Brazil
Wonderful! I would love to do something like this!
Posted by azzucoloto on 22 May, 2009

freshwaterwi, United States of America
Kudos to this 2nd grade teacher for this project! But I have one question....although I applaud her organization in storing the postcards in envelopes by country/continent....wouldn't it have been better to keep them posted in a display on the wall? I think the visual images from each country are so representative and evocative of that culture that it seems a shame to keep them tucked away out of sight. Even keeping them in a shoebox --maybe sorted by country or continent-- would allow the kids easier access to them. I don't mean to be critical....just that, as a teacher myself, I've considered all this. I'll definately be postcrossing with my students....as soon as I get my own classroom space again!
Posted by freshwaterwi on 23 May, 2009

corporatefuture, France
This is a great story! I have taught myself and I know just how hard it is to get pupils interested in whatever you're teaching. Here, the children were part of a project, and I bet they found it very motivating.
Posted by corporatefuture on 25 May, 2009

viridian61, United States of America
I started postcrossing for my daughter's class geography project! And I just keep going. I have also exchanged with 2 classes in the USA. I have recommended this to teachers too.
Posted by viridian61 on 25 May, 2009

heyjude, United States of America
As the only member from the Northern Mariana Islands I'll gladly exchange postcards with any teacher, class or student who sends me an address. I've also participated with great fun in the Flat Stanley Project www.flatstanleyproject.com
and would enjoy doing so again.
Posted by heyjude on 25 May, 2009

MrsHGrade2, United States of America
Freshwaterwi - the cards are actually in those envelopes on a very student-accessible interactive bulliten board. We also have the postcard sildeshow from postcrossing running on our Smartboard throughout "work times" during the day. The students read postcards during our free-reading time, before and after the official start of school, and when they've completed their work. It's a very busy place in the classroom. It's hard to see in the picture, but they are hanging on tacks where a student can un-hook the envelope with little trouble and take the postcards out. I tried clear plastic bags for awhile, but with little 7-year-old hands, they were torn quite easily. We have a "country" feature each week where all the cards from that country are displayed on the other side of this board (that you don't see in the picture) and the students bring in information about the selected country. THANKS for the tips, though! :) It's a GREAT project.
Posted by MrsHGrade2 on 26 May, 2009

darkhuntress, Canada
If any teachers want post cards from Canada, let me know! I don't mind sending out some just to help with your class. I'm in Saskatchewan, so it would be mainly prairie or city pictures along with a few animals ones. I'd love to help anyone out!
Posted by darkhuntress on 26 May, 2009

isagv, Germany
Every time we learn something new about the world or things like UNESCO and so on in the German Part of the forum, our standard sentence is: Postcrossing educates. :)
Posted by isagv on 27 May, 2009

emeraldmist, United States of America
I'll be teaching High School in eh fall and I plan on using a lot of my postcards in the classroom. I've gotten a lot of College and University cards and I'm going to make a bulletin board out of them and use these to show students some of the many different choices they have. I"m also going to try to have students send cards but I have to work that out. I will have over 100 students in my classes so postage will be a big factor!

Yes, Postcrossing educates!!!
Posted by emeraldmist on 28 May, 2009

umut, Turkey
I'm going to be an English teacher and I'm planning to use my cards to prepare a language classroom. I have nearly 50 cards all around the world (ı hope I'll have more:) and when I arrange them as a world map ıt looks really cool.
This is a very easy, very cheap and interesting way to use lang. Thanks a lot for making this site and thank you all people sending me awesome postcards and stamps.
loves
Posted by umut on 28 May, 2009

Apez, United States of America
Thanks for this awesome idea! I am gonna try it next year!
Posted by Apez on 29 May, 2009

mrspalmersclass2, United States of America
Our class did this for the first time this year and loved it. It was a simply way for the children to learn geography, how to write an address, etc... I recommend this as a project to any class, any age. Our avatar shows how we display the cards in our class.
Posted by mrspalmersclass2 on 31 May, 2009

LMAZZA, United States of America
Ican't wait until I get my adress for the first post card I will be able to send.;
Posted by LMAZZA on 13 Jun, 2009

joca68, Portugal
Such a great project indeed! GREAT thinking!!!! I bet it was rewarding both for learners and for teachers as they watch their pupils blossom! There's no best reward for a teacher than that!!!!!
Posted by joca68 on 13 Jun, 2009

TPL, Northern Mariana Islands
We, Tinian Public Library, are the second member from Northern Mariana Islands. We're using postcrossing for a reading project with the school and ameriCorps volunteers. See our profile page - TPL. Send us a card and we will send you one.
Posted by TPL on 19 Jun, 2009

jmolozaiy, United States of America
I started Postcrossing during the last school year and used cards at my school, too. Students drew a card, determined where it was from, and then located the place on a world map. It was a big hit with the kids and got them interested in places that they had never known even existed. I plan do more with the cards this year. If you are interested in participating, please my profile page. We will be happy to send you a card in return.
Posted by jmolozaiy on 4 Jul, 2009