AllSerene(or Serena) is a member from United Kingdom . She has been a member for over 5 years (1873 days).
I'm in my fifties and live in a quiet part of southern England. I share my life with a pair of beautiful cats who've recently come to live with me, following the loss of my previous cat, Lucy (who is my avatar). I'm a country girl at heart and love watching my garden and the wildlife which shares it with me. I no longer travel and love getting cards showing me other parts of the world and telling me about other ways of life.
I'm really not fussy and I like almost all of the cards I'm sent; some of the things I particularly enjoy though, in no particular order, include:
- Beautiful landscapes
- Cards which give a feeling of peace and space
- Pictures of storms and wild weather
- Ancient buildings
- Interesting roofscapes and skylines
- Views through windows
- Architectural details
- Religious buildings of any kind (as a Quaker, I'd be particularly interested in Friends' Meeting Houses)
- Pictures of the sea, ships and lighthouses
- Anything to do with bees and beekeeping would be wonderful (I used to keep bees)
- I love Inge Löök's anarchic grandmas, Virpi Pekkala's and Anne Taintor's cards, Sergey Fedorovich Davidovich-Zosin's elderly athletes from Belarus along with anything by Vaclav Vaca.
- Joyous images, which just lift the heart, or anything which makes me laugh
- The weird and off-beat, and pictures taken from odd angles, so you have to look a couple of times to see what it is
- Wildlife (but not in zoos), especially birds
- Statues / Sculptures, especially modern ones
- Black and white pictures
- Strong, dramatic images
- Interesting faces
- Unicorns, dragons and other mystical creatures but only wild ones, not the sanitised, Disneyfied versions.
You can get more ideas from my favourites' wall, these are cards I would love but don't yet have.
If you don't have anything like this, don't worry - some of the nicest cards I've had, have been things I wouldn't have thought to ask for! Send me something you love and tell me what's special about it. Alternatively, just choose me a card at random - I'm sure I'll like it, especially if it says more than "Happy postcrossing" on the back!
Cards I don't generally enjoy include:
- 3D cards (these can actually make me feel ill!)
- Multi-view cards, with lots of tiny pictures
- Ad cards (unless it matches my preferences)
- Self made cards (apart from photos taken by the sender)
However, if you've got a card you think is just right for me, despite being in one of these categories, I'd love to be proved wrong.
The words on the back are as important to me as the picture on the front and I love reading either about the place where you live, or your life and what interests you.
I prefer my postcards as nature intended - without envelopes. Any scrapes and scars from the post just add to their character.
You can see copies, organised by country and, in some cases, themes, of all my cards on my Flickr page.
Please don't send me a message asking for a swap, as I'm simply not interested.