*Currently: in WASHINGTON*
EVERY CARD IS A GIFT -- my FAVORITE is the one YOU send to me!
Hello, I'm Jim!
I am retired from my job as a database administrator for a large bank, and have studied for (but did not complete) a Ph.D. in Geography.
I am married and have two grown children and a beagle. Our son and his wife are the parents of our two grandchildren, a boy & a girl. Our daughter has a Ph.D. in Molecular Biology and is a college professor.
I lived in the Chicago area almost my entire life, except for a brief period when I was in Florida (where I met my wife!). Now our primary home is in the State of Washington, on Whidbey Island, about 47km northwest of Seattle. We also have a small home in Sun Lakes, Arizona, near our grandchildren, and spend some of our time there.
I was 50 before I finally had an opportunity to travel outside North America! I had a wonderful time in The Netherlands, Belgium, and Germany, and hope to return before too long. Our daughter spent one college term as a student in Freiburg, Germany, and greatly loved the experience, making many new friends with whom she has stayed in touch.
From our Washington home, located in Puget Sound, we can view the Cascade Mountains to our east and the Olympic Mountains to our west. When we take the ferry to the mainland, it is often possible to see Mt. Rainier rising majestically to the southeast of the city of Seattle. Washington has much more moderate temperatures than we had in Illinois, and better still - no mosquitoes! Sun Lakes, Arizona is "low desert", so the temperatures are as high as 46° in the summer, but it's a good place to spend some time (and stay warm) in the winter.
What kind of cards do I like? My tastes are varied and eclectic; I'm likely to appreciate just about anything you choose to send. If you want more specifics, though:
* Anything having to do with technology is cool
* But SciFi not so much
* Anything quirky, off-beat, unusual, out of the ordinary
* Not fond of generic cat pictures; humorous are OK
* Anything with dogs is cool
* I'm not easily offended, but nothing malicious or hateful, please
* Retro or vintage photography and art, including advertising
* Risque cards, pinups, erotica are OK
* Homemade cards are fine, especially if they're creative
* Holiday cards in November/December
* Small-batch bourbons and unusual craft beers
* Current advertising is not really of interest, unless it's quirky, off-beat, unusual
* The weird card you can't send anywhere else
I'm quite inconsistent about marking "favorites", and it may vary from day to day, so don't let my favorites limit you in any way.
PLEASE NOTE: When I am traveling for more than a few days, I usually have my mail sent on to me. This means it will take a few extra days to reach me. I register cards promptly when I receive them and do not register cards that I have not received! Be patient! After 60 days, it is removed from your count so you can send to another address