My name is Gordon and I'm 53 years old. I'm a U.S. Army lieutenant colonel currently serving in South Korea
I enjoy reading books. My favorite at the moment is "The Orphan Master's Son" by Adam Johnson. It's set in North Korea and won a Pulitzer Prize in 2012. I love to travel and have been to 38 countries so far. My first oversees trips were to Ireland at 16 and Greece at 17. Most recently, I spent three weeks in Thailand and Philippines (December 2017). Over the last few years I've visited Qatar, Hong Kong, Jordan, France, Belgium, Germany, Japan, England, Scotland, the Netherlands and the Czech Republic. I signed up with Postcrossing because I collect old postcards. I thought it would be fun to receive cards in the mail rather than just buying them at antique shops. Over the years, I've been fortunate to visit two of my Postcrossing friends in person (in Germany and Thailand). I spent two weeks in Europe (Netherlands, Belgium, France, and Italy) in April 2018. I've also been to Kuwait and Qatar several times during the last three years (for work).
For cards I especially like:
- City and landscape scenes
- Winter scenes
- Logging/maple sugaring
- Military-themed or old military posters
- Classic Mini Coopers (I bought one in July 2018)
- Ice hockey
- Antique/vintage cards
- Beach scenes/bathing beauties
- Unusual, odd, weird, strange or wacky
- Cards with "Greetings from..."
- Black and white photography
- Prints by Maxfield Parrish, Norman Rockwell, Edgar Degas, Edouard Manet, Winslow Homer, Pierre Renoir, Georges Seurat, or Claude Monet
- The Romanov Royal Family
- Movies and television (Westworld, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, etc.)
- Female Hollywood film stars. Some of my favorites are: Rita Hayworth, Audrey Hepburn, Gene Tierney (my absolute favorite!), Marilyn Monroe, Grace Kelly, Hedy Lamarr, Natalie Wood, Elizabeth Taylor, Judy Garland, and Sophia Loren
I'll be happy to receive any card though. On the back of the card, please write the date and the weather. If you're an artist of any sort - feel free to make a little drawing on the back of the card. I'd also love to hear something about you - what you do for fun, your hobbies, interests, favorite films, etc. I'm usually up for direct swaps, so feel free to send your name and address. I'll reply with my information. Please try to use more than one stamp on the card. I collect stamps as well as cards. Take care!
Fun Fact: "Deltiology" is the study and collecting of postcards.