I’m Matthew. I live just outside the town of Reading in the south-east of England.
You can send me anything, but here are a few of the types of things I’m interested in:
• History – I love history and work in an archive so would love to receive postcards showing anything that represents everyday life from the past (eg. old advertisements, posters, photographs, prints, street scenes, fashion, interiors etc.) I'd also love any pictures of vintage technology - gramophones, typewriters, pocket watches etc.
My favourite time period is the beginning of the twentieth century up to the 1920s (Edwardian era in England and Belle Époque in Europe) - coincidentally, this was the era that post-cards first became popular!
• Architecture – I love old and historic buildings, from castles and palaces to cottages and small streets and lanes. I particularly like architectural drawings where you can see all the details.
• Books– I would love any cards related to books and libraries, particularly children’s books of all kinds. I would love to learn more about favourite childhood classics from other countries.
• Graphic Design – fonts, typography, interesting lettering (I have studied Linguistics and love learning about languages and different alphabets)
• Art – paintings from 19th and early 20th century, old book illustrations (eg. Arthur Rackham, Edmund Dulac), patterns, art nouveau, Vienna Secession/Wiener Werkstätte, Japanese prints, impressionists.
• My favourite animals are Pandas and Otters so would love any pictures of them!
Also, if you are from the Netherlands I would love anything by Anton Pieck. He is an artist not known at all in the UK, but I know he is very famous in the Netherlands.
Thanks for reading and I look forward to your card :)