So... you might be wondering what to send to a stranger.
And I am wondering : what will I discover in my mailbox, filled with JOY?
Well, you can send anything you want :-) anything, but why not something beautiful?
I think that the most important is the SURPRISE effect that you will create.
Before you send anything, here are a few things about me:
- I will be more than pleased if you send me the name of your favorite song sung in your native language(s) :-)
The reason behind that is that I am trying to create a playlist that will include a song from every language spoken on Earth. It is not an easy task, it takes time to discover new music which suits one's personal taste.
Did you know that there were more than 7,000 "languages" spoken today? http://www.ethnologue.com/statistics
But many are in danger of vanishing...
Obviously my playlist won't include 7,000 languages, and I will focus on the main ones. But.. in India, there are so many languages, for example!
During my research I have encountered beautiful songs such as:
"Մայրիկիս" by Mariam Matossian (Armenia), "Arawi" by Luzmila Carpio (Bolivia), "Senyum" by Aziz Harun (Brunei), "Djon Maya" by Victor Démé (Burkina Faso), "Likanda" by Blick Bassy (Cameroon), "Ilha de Santiago" by Mayra Andrade (Cape Verde), "Te quise" by Camila Moreno (Chile), "還愛著你" by 郭采潔 (Taïwan).. sometimes I cannot find a song which I really like, and some songs are here only to have a "complete" playlist.
If you are interested, here is my playlist (remember that, even if it is finished, it is still a work in progress as I keep on discovering new songs everyday and can replace the songs I like less):
- on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtPdy5CeCZoCSJjLKJ54V96YK9hEjZdVO
- on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/user/dagou/playlist/4k7ggtq2wP6isWLlaBeGpt
My favorite song in French is "Le vent nous portera" by Noir Désir.
It is not a happy song, but it is a beautiful one:
My favorite song in Polish is a song by Marcelina:
- I studied to become a translator, finally gave up (I work now as an assistant), but my love for languages is still here.
So if you do not live in a French-speaking country, PLEASE write something in your native language (with a translation in English).
And if your native language is English/Thai/Spanish/Italian/Portuguese/German/Dutch/Danish/any Slavic language (Polish/Russian/Bulgarian/etc), you can write the whole postcard in your language, I will try my best to translate it on my own.
By the way, my name is Dagmara, and I am French and Polish.
- I love art, mail art (I wish I could draw beautiful things on postcards!), street art, music, words, the art of translation, books, and learning new things. I am also interested in science, history and literature.
- For Thai people: I really like สิงโต นำโชค and the band "25 hours", especially their song "ไม่เคย". Do you know/like them?