Inge Löök's old ladies

Inge Löök (real name Ingeborg Lievonen) is a Finnish artist born in Helsinki in 1951. She was once a professional gardener, but today she is most famous for her Granny postcards which so many postcrossers love and collect.

FI-994100

When she was a child, Inge lived with her family in a 7-storey building in Helsinki. In the same building lived two older women, Alli and Fifi, who later became the inspiration for the characters in her postcards. She says the women look nearly the same as their real-life models... but they have a lot more fun!

FI-986282FI-993426FI-936749

Inge's look on life is one of optimism and happiness, and it shows on the pictures she draws. The grannies are always happy and having fun, and their motto is "Time is not money and spending it isn’t a sin".

She has drawn over 300 postcards on different topics, and has also illustrated several stamps and children's books. Today she lives in Pernå, a village east of Helsinki.

Share on:
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Google+ Share by email
Posted by on 21 May, 2011
Tags: ,

DivotedDiva, Finland
I really like these two ladies, Alli and Fifi. They are having so much fun..., and really enjoying life. :) So thank you Inge for all these great postcards. And it's always a pleisure to send them out to postcrossers who collect them!
Posted by DivotedDiva on 21 May, 2011

ned44440, Ireland
I love these postcards and I so look forward to the day when I receive my first one (and of course my second, third, fourth . . . . . . .)
Posted by ned44440 on 21 May, 2011

zhan, China
I like these popular postcards--colorful,beautiful,& interesting!and I have always dreamed of receiving these one day:)
Posted by zhan on 21 May, 2011

Zmrzlina, United States of America
I have amassed a lovely collection of Inge Löök's Granny postcards over the years and when I'm blue, I pull them out to remind me that life is fun and we should kick up our heels and enjoy it.
Posted by Zmrzlina on 21 May, 2011

pefawm, Norway
I love these old ladies. I just got another card this week from someone.
Posted by pefawm on 21 May, 2011

islander61, Bahamas
Nice to read the story behind these lovely, spirited cards. Hope to receive one one day.
Posted by islander61 on 21 May, 2011

San-san, Germany
I just love the motto. Sooo true. Happy weekend everyone.
Posted by San-san on 21 May, 2011

9teen87, United States of America
I LOVE Inge Look postcards! Thanks to someone special on this site, I now have several that are autographed by her too :)

Here is some more information that Kilona helped me with for my postcard blog ...

Posted by 9teen87 on 21 May, 2011

marlepowe, United States of America
I love these grannies too. I have received only one so far, but am looking forward to a second. I appropriately received the one where they are looking at the mail coming thru the door slot, like they were looking for postcards from postcrosing.
Posted by marlepowe on 21 May, 2011

9teen87, United States of America
@ Marlepowe: I wish these messages had a 'LIKE' button, I would click it for your comment :D
Posted by 9teen87 on 21 May, 2011

phuleshouse, Canada
I love these ladies and wish to be feisty and have a love for life when I reach they age. Thank-you for Inge for sharing with us you are never to old.
Posted by phuleshouse on 21 May, 2011

Ipie, Netherlands
I love the two old ladies and hope to become just like them when I'm old....
Posted by Ipie on 21 May, 2011

janemm, New Zealand
Like everyone else on here, I love the spirit of fun and lives well lived that come from these cards. They are such a gift to the world and a good reminder that simple pleasures can be very enriching. I have 3 so far...thanks to generous people on postcrossing.
Posted by janemm on 21 May, 2011

mlroes, Canada
These are great postcards ! Is it possible to buy them?
Posted by mlroes on 21 May, 2011

adriennegarry, New Zealand
I love them too - I keep collecting them and always want more! The ladies remind me of my two sisters - aged 88 and 81 who are very like these two!!
Posted by adriennegarry on 21 May, 2011

flipper57, Germany
I love this old ladies. Now, I am 54 years old. I wish, I have a lot of fun, when I reach the age of the grannies.
I have only one postcard and hope, I can find more in my letter-box.

rosenbusch/flipper57
Posted by flipper57 on 22 May, 2011

everdina, Netherlands
All the cards from the two ladys are Great, i collect them and they make me smile everytime i recieve one in the mailbox.
Posted by everdina on 22 May, 2011

MarcusL, Australia
I have only belonged to Postcrossing for 4 weeks and I am still waiting to receive my first official Postcrossing postcard. I have already fallen in love with the grannies and other images by Inge Löök. I hope I receive some of her postcards soon.
Posted by MarcusL on 22 May, 2011

cathlud, Australia
The above message from MarcusL was actually written by me (his mother). I did not realise that I was logged into his account instead of my own. Marcus has one Inge Löök postcard after 18 months on Postcrossing and I am still waiting to recieve my first one.
Posted by cathlud on 22 May, 2011

DengXiaomin, China
wow!!I have got two .and the old ladies are really funny .and not until now do i know the story of them .fantastic!!!!
Posted by DengXiaomin on 22 May, 2011

Hotaru, Norway
Wonderful postcards and amazing artist!!! I got one of her postcard and I'm totally in love with her style!! ^^
Posted by Hotaru on 22 May, 2011

bertiebo, Netherlands
Inge and her granny's are just great!!!!
Posted by bertiebo on 22 May, 2011

elos, Netherlands
Someone must be the first: Sorry, I don't like these postcards.
They are too childish to me. When you see one, you think: "well that's original!". Seeing the second one you think:" Oh, another one". Seeing the whole series, you just think: " Oh, it's (nothing more than) a (commercial) trick".
Posted by elos on 22 May, 2011

moonlessnite, Canada
Thank you for clarifying the theme...i like that motto: "Time is not money and spending it is not a sin"...
I wasnt aware of this artists unit i joined postcrossing, and a FINNISH member maile dme one....the one of the woemen walking with the noredic poles. I think i may start collecting them...though there are none around here for sale.
Posted by moonlessnite on 22 May, 2011

sebastiaandespin, Netherlands
Does anyone know of a website where you can order postcards (or perhaps a calendar) of these delightful Grannies [Sorry, Elos! :-)]? I've tried to "Google", but haven't had much luck because of the language barrier...
Posted by sebastiaandespin on 22 May, 2011

ipuenktchen, Iran
hi, great theme - the grannies alli * fifi - I like them up from this moment when I saw the first card!!! and much more when I got my first card!! and imagine, I met her in person, when I took part in HML-PCmeetup at postcard-exhibition in sept 2009 and I got her autograph, too.
step by step I reach the age of them.. and hope to be like them one day..........
thx for the infos!!
Posted by ipuenktchen on 22 May, 2011

doug94550, United States of America
Inge Look Rocks !!!
Posted by doug94550 on 22 May, 2011

geminiscp, Portugal
I have 2 cards and love them! :D
Posted by geminiscp on 22 May, 2011

dollart, Finland
i have also met Inge Löök in Hämeenlinna postcard exhibition and in also in Turku postcard event. She is also really nice in person. I have her cards signed and ad cards of her picture from Hämeenlinna postcard exhibition.
Posted by dollart on 22 May, 2011

Nightowl, Finland
To sebastiaandespin: you can try ordering these cards from www.perromania.fi It is a very nice online shop selling all kinds of postcards, also Grannies. :)
Posted by Nightowl on 22 May, 2011

dinny_rst, Indonesia
I am a newbie and hoping to receive some of these sometime.

Thanks Nightowl for the link.
I envy Finnish postcrossers who have a huge range of postcards to choose from. Unlike here in Indonesia :(
Posted by dinny_rst on 23 May, 2011

Startinka, Russia
these postcards can always make me smile! i've already have 7 of them and i still want more and nore :D
Posted by Startinka on 23 May, 2011

Crizle, Australia
I've always wondered about them and they are really wonderful to finally see here.
Posted by Crizle on 23 May, 2011

BOOGIE_PIPPIN, United Kingdom
Where is the best place to buy Inge Look postcards? I've only seen pictures on my computer but am already a big fan and would love to have some, some to keep and some to send to postcrossers.

Thanks

boogie_pippin
Posted by BOOGIE_PIPPIN on 23 May, 2011

saffron55, Canada
I love these cards!
Posted by saffron55 on 24 May, 2011

speedbird_059, South Africa
Hi There

I too adore the old girls. Like Boogie_Pippin I would love to know where one can buy these cards?

Thanks!
Posted by speedbird_059 on 24 May, 2011

einallis, China
they are so wonderful:)))
Posted by einallis on 24 May, 2011

denarose, Australia
They are gorgeous...would be nice to receive one someday!!~~
Posted by denarose on 24 May, 2011

dorsz, France
I got 6 of Inge Look postcards thanks to fellow Finnish postcrossers (thank you again!) and they are hung on my bedroom wall :)
Posted by dorsz on 24 May, 2011

solarts66, United States of America
Now I know more about these popular lovely old ladies. I enjoy receiving them too in the mail. I have 298 postcards to go since there are 300 total.
Posted by solarts66 on 25 May, 2011

Flocke2010, Germany
Those cards are lovely - would love to receive them :)
Posted by Flocke2010 on 26 May, 2011

tupaismum, Australia
I love these cards too - reinforces that we need to enjoy life and get out there despite our age. Just looking at them makes me smile :-)
Posted by tupaismum on 28 May, 2011

vincent-, France
I like this card I receveid one : http://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/FI-1066665
Posted by vincent- on 28 May, 2011

Trekkie_Gal, United States of America
My 11th received card back in 2007 was one of Inge Löök's cards. I had no idea that there were so many!

Posted by Trekkie_Gal on 29 May, 2011

kojanarr, Estonia
I like these two ladies - Alli and Fifi!
I love Inge Löök postcards!
Thanks, Inge ;))!
Posted by kojanarr on 9 Jun, 2011

kojanarr, Estonia
Heia!
Pärnus on villa Artises 28.augustini Inge Lööki postkaardi näitus! Alli ja Fifi on võrratud! suured tänud autorile!
See kosutab hinge!
Posted by kojanarr on 28 Jun, 2011

katikallulu, Ukraine
they are great. like these two grannies... hope someday i recieve one of their card... :)))
Posted by katikallulu on 12 Jul, 2011